Xibo 1.0.4 - Codename "Halley"
This is a security fix release of Xibo. We recommend all Xibo installations be upgraded to 1.0.4
You can download this release from https://launchpad.net/xibo/1.0/1.0.4
You must use the 1.0.3 or 1.0.4 client with this version of the Xibo server. Previous clients will try to use a deprecated webservice call which may cause them to break.
Xibo requires PHP 5.2.0 or higher. Xibo will function in most cases with 5.1.0 but you may experience some problems with experimental PHP functions. In particular Xibo may present a restricted list of timezones in the Admin Interface.
- Backup settings.php from your installation
- The upgrader will attempt to backup your database, but manually taking a backup would be a good idea.
- Replace your existing installation with the new version from the tar.gz or zip file
- Replace your settings.php file
- Browse to http://your.server/path as normal
- You will be prompted that an upgrade is required.
- Enter your xibo_admin password, and follow the upgrade wizard.
- The upgrade should run, and finally ask you to log in as you would normally.
Please ask for help/advice in the Answers section of Launchpad: https://answers.launchpad.net/xibo
Please report any bugs in the Bugs section of Launchpad: https://bugs.launchpad.net/xibo (if you're not sure that what you have found is a bug, please ask in the Answers section first!)
Please report any enhancement requests in the Blueprints section of Launchpad: https://blueprints.launchpad.net/xibo
Fixes for the following Bugs
- 433593 - XMDS now ignored the Text Nodes created by sending back stats from the Python client
- 438779 - You can now upload AVI and PPS files.
Changes in Functionality
XMDS speed improvement
MD5 for Media items should be calculated and stored in the DB at upload time XMDS has been sped up by storing MD5's in the DB instead of calculating them.
More font sizes available for Text/Ticker
Optional db backup on upgrade
Switch to disable the attempted backup of the database There is now an option in the upgrade procedure for the server which disabs the automatic backup of the Xibo database. We still recommend you take a backup before the upgrade process.
XMDS security vunerability
A fix for XMDS is included that fixes a security vunerability.
Known Issues and Limitations
Xibo is a young project. There are plenty of new features in the pipeline, but to provide a stable platform for users wanting Xibo now, the 1.0 series of releases are now feature-frozen (no new features will be implemented). All new development work will go in to the 1.1 series - which will be unstable.
Once we are happy with 1.1, we will release Xibo 1.2 which will be the next stable release series and the direct upgrade path for 1.0. Any future releases of Xibo 1.0 will be bug fix releases only.
Therefore there are the following known issues and limitations with Xibo 1.0.3:
- Internationalisation: Xibo currently deals with non-english characters badly. You are strongly recommended to avoid using non-english characters wherever possible. 
- Tickers slow when only one layout scheduled. 
- The backgrounds of Text and RSS media items are not transparent if the background of a layout is a GIF image. Please use JPEG images as a work around. 
- Videos will not loop if they are the only media in a region. Add a short empty text field as a work around. 
- Overlapping regions are handled badly. The existing server/client were never developed to support overlapping regions, but they do work in some circumstances which is why we have decided to leave this functionality intact, but with the caveat that they may not work as you expect.  
- Client will not run under VirtualBox. We think this is a VirtualBox bug as it's a low-level Windows API call that is failing. 
- Backgrounds of FlashMedia items are not transparent. This is a limitation of the Adobe Flash C# control.